I MUST DIG FIRST TO GRAB MY GOLD (ACROSTIC)

 


In life, nothing is absolutely free’ –

 

Many times as a child I heard the refrain.

Until you venture out little you’d see’ –

So I was told still running naked in the rain.

The time came I moved away from home,

 

Ditching all the trappings of childhood.

In the city, I lived in a desperate zone,

Gaining mental muscles growing into manhood.


 

Freebies, I can say now, come with strings

Inbuilt which the giver would often pull:

Refuse a gift if you’re unsure what it brings;

Shut firmly your door if unclear is the rule;

Take time to know your horse isn’t a mule.

 

Take time or else someone plays you for a fool.

Often now I remember all I was told as a child

 

Gradually gaining knowledge at home and school;

Remember Pa’s teaching to apply my nous and pride

And all that learning helped me in dire times;

But for it, sucked in I’d be in the city whirlpool.

 

My survival I put in this acrostic and rhymes.

Yeah, every greenhorn can – just stick to this rule:

 

Grab first the dust and wait to grab your gold.

Of a truth, life opens to those with hardest knock.

Let your focus be fixed; stay humble yet bold.

Determination you need to crack the hardest rock. 

{THE POEM IS TAKEN FROM MY COLLECTION, 'COLOURS (OF LIFE, LOVE AND FAITH)'.}

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Long Love Song (001 - 010)

New Year

A FLOWER ABOUT TO BLOOM